Veterinary A1c testing
for Canines and Felines
the “gold standard” in
diabetes diagnosis and
A1Care is a A1c (glycohemoglobin) test for canines and felines.
How it Works
- Many pets have clinical and subclinical diabetes only identified by A1c also called glycated hemoglobin. Glycation is a non-enzymatic reaction between the carbonyl group and the N – terminal of lysine amino acid this process leads to a Amadori compounds which undergo a series of oxidation, dehydration and fragmentation reactions which generates advanced glycation end products. This is a universal reaction in mammals and is the foundation for why A1c is an accurate and reliable test from people to mice and including cats and dogs.
- Obesity often leads to diabetes and A1c is the ideal test for overweight canines and felines. In addition, glucose seepage occurs into the urine when it reaches 200mg/dl in dogs and 250 in cats another indication of pre-diabetes.
- Steroids and progestins can cause DM.
Feline Diabetes Facts
- Stress hyperglycemia can lead to false diagnosis especially in cats.
- Cats get diabetes because of a loss in function of the beta cells resulting in insulin resistance, islet amyloidosis or chronic lymphoplasmacytic pancreatitis.
- Burmese cats are more susceptible.
Canine Diabetes Facts
- Dogs have a rapid and progressive onset of diabetes when they get it.
- Intact females may be transiently diabetic due to the insulin resistance effects of the diestrus phase.
- Breeds of dogs genetically susceptible: Australian Terriers, Beagles, Samoyeds, Keeshonden.
What Others Are Saying
I am in Sweden, and a reliable A1c for cats would be welcome. We use the fructosamin as the long term parameter (2-3 weeks), twice a year. This is done at the large animal hospital in Gothenburg. It is good that you want to mainstrem it. - Ann Pettersson
“Baycom Diagnostics, Inc. has developed a cost effective diagnostic kit for monitoring and testing feline and canine diabetes.”wctv.tv
Mr. Ray said the company has operated in a virtual location to conserve costs and will use the grant dollars to establish a corporate office, finalize the product’s packaging and design, fund any legal fees, and conduct the necessary Beta testing of the product.
Chief Commercialization Officer
Bruce has over 25 years of experience in companion animal sales, marketing and startups with a specialization in the areas of emerging innovation and technology in veterinary medicine. After serving as part of the founding management team of both a successful parasiticide startup and an innovative SaaS company he is proud to join the Baycom team as we seek to expand awareness, adoption and use of A1Care as a standard of care for the veterinary profession.
Baycom's TRFs are produced at a cGMP compliant for class l medical devices and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient applications as required. In addition, it is ISO 9001:2001 certified as the base quality platform and all aspects of our quality process is monitored electronically through our custom-designed operating software system.
Frequently Asked Questions
Mld English Sheepdog
West Highland White Terrier
There are several things than can cause a cat to be predisposed to developing diabetes:
Breed – Burmese cats have a genetic predisposition
Gender – males are twice as likely to develop diabetes as female cats
Age – cats over ten have a higher chance of contracting the disease
Other diseases – pancreatitis, hyperthyroidism, and Cushing’s disease all increase the risk
3472 Weems Road, #2, Tallahassee, FL 32317
Florida State University, Hybridoma Lab, Tallahassee, FL 32313
Call or FAX
Toll Free 800-213-1439, Fax 850-385-4104